Chofter.com – A Next-Gen Search Portal is launched
Posted by Shane O'Sullivan on August 4, 2008
For quite a while, I had been working with various REST services, e.g. Flickr, the Google search services and more, as part of my contributions to the Dojo Ajax Toolkit, when it occurred to me that no one had done a good job of bringing all these various sources of information together in a usable way.
To add it to the search bar in your browser, click here.
Immodest as it may sound, Chofter.com provides a better search experience than Google, Yahoo or Microsoft Live, because it incorporates search results from all of them, and much more.
The entire application is written using the Dojo toolkit, utilising
- Layouts, Dialogs, Menus and ContentPanes for the user interface.
- dojo.data and dojo.rpc for data transfer.
- dojox.dtl (Django Templating Library) for transforming search data into visuals.
- dojo.fx and FisheyeLite for eye candy
- …. and a chunk of custom code.
As of writing, the following search sources are available, arranged into a number of categories:
- Google – web, news, image, blog, video and book search.
- Yahoo – web, news and image search.
- Microsoft Live – web and news search.
- YouTube – video search.
- Flickr – image search.
- BBC News – news and sports search.
- Digg – web, news and video search.
- Amazon.com – book search.
- Wikipedia – web search.
- IMDB – video search.
- Technorati – blog search.
- DZone – technical search.
I will be adding more as time goes on. A forum is being set up, and I welcome all feedback on the site. I’ve also set up a blog for the site at http://www.chofter.com/blog.